Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Trader Joe's Frozen Croissants



I've died and gone to Gai Pareeeee....Not really, I've actually only driven to Trader Joe's where I found to my glee that they are now stocking FROZEN CROISSANTS! A while back I posted about how good their frozen chocolate croissants are, wondering if they would ever get smart and add the infamous pain au chocolat's plain yet scrumptious sister in pastry-hood, the croissant. And it must be good karma, my wish was their command! Today while shopping, in the midst of the frozen food delights (you have to admit, TJs has awesome frozen goodies) I spied something croissant-esque. Was it? Yes it was! A tiny little box of 8 mini frozen croissants!


To make them is a snap. All you do is let them proof on the counter overnight and pop them in the oven in the morning. Your kitchen develops that highly sought-after French pastry shop smell (oh yum) and in 20 minutes you have hot croissants. And they are GOOD. REALLY good. And at $3.99 a box, much more affordable than the frozen croissants that Williams-Sonoma sells (plus you don't have to pay extra for shipping, or wait for them to arrive in your mailbox).


So, in these days of zillion dollar plane tickets and value-less dollars, if you're yearning for a real French breakfast, get ye to Trader Joe's! (No, TJ's does not pay me for this, I'm just a die-hard fan of the good stuff and toot its horn whenever I can).

8 comments:

Meg said...

I love testing out croissants (and, well, almost anything); I'll have to give these a go. Thanks for sharing the recommendation.

Sha said...

They look really good !!

Unknown said...

Best ever! No Trader Joes in Colorado however. So I'm going to try the same thing by going to the bakery of my local mega mart and get some of there frozen from behind the counter. (We will see)

Unknown said...

Can you compare them, quality-wise, to the Williams-Sonoma croissants? How were they?

Lesley said...

To be honest they taste exactly the same as the ones I have had from W-S. Much cheaper though. You just have to be sure you prepare them right (proof them, egg wash them, bake them long enough). They are so so so good.

Lesley said...

Oh, and I tried the frozen ones "from France" at Fresh Market, and they were not near as good as TJ's.

Juliet Grossman said...

I love, love croissants and have had the hardest time finding good ones, made with actual butter and other real ingredients, short of going to a bakery. I saw that Williams Sonoma sells frozen ones but they are pricy. I kept lingering over the page in the cataogue, going back & forth, back & forth, and never did order those. (I've heard you can also buy Balthazar croissants air-mailed on ice from NYC and haven't done that either. If Williams Sonoma is expensive, I'm sure Balthazar is too.)

So these TJs croissants are terrific. They are just the cutest darned things . I love their petite size.

I blogged about them today and found your blog when I was searching for a picture and/or more info about them. I linked to you today here. Happy eating:-)

Juliet Grossman said...

Hee! I didn't read the comments before I posted and I see someone else has discovered Williams Sonoma croissants. I wish I could try them for scientific comparison purposes.