Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Gingerbread House


Nothing says Christmas and kids much like a gingerbread house. I never had these growing up, I didn't have an artistic/culinary mom. Now that I have my own wee ones I wanted to add some fun Christmas traditions, so I went out and got a gingerbread house kit by Wilton at Sur la Table. (Yes, that's cheating, but when you have a 2 and 3 year old you cheat).

The kit is really nice. It comes with everything you need, down to the candies and the piping bag and tip for the icing. Putting the house together was a labor of love, it took some time and the house fell over more than once. But the final result is pretty good if I do say so myself! Don't look too closely!

The kids love it, they want to devour it. But I don't think we'll be eating this creation. For our gingerbread needs I'll make some little men... So we have our house on a shelf and we admire it from afar!

I have found that if you wrap a gingerbread house in plastic trash bags and then put it in a box and in a cool, dry place, you can use it as decoration the following year as well. Unless of course you want the gingerbread challenge every year!

2 comments:

Carla said...

That is such a cute gingerbread house! Cheating schmeeting. While trying to make my 1 year olds cake today I thought, "This is why people buy cakes." He was pulling my pants down at the time.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

That's beautiful!

We're going to make a gingerbread house, but with a 3 and 6 year old I can't see it turning out as tasteful as yours... You'd know what I meant if you could see the tree in their bedroom.